Thursday, January 13, 2011

nights like tonight...

Tonight was nothing special...but it's nights like tonight that made me want to start this blog in the first place.

This has been a busy week. PTO meeting monday night (sad to say we were pretty excited to have a babysitter for this event, so it felt like a date =)...i bought the pizza). I had a meeting Tuesday night, and Tad had the usual training Wednesday. Tonight would have been Tad's first game of the season for his softball league, but because of the temperature drop...it was cancelled...I was excited already! So imagine my surprise when I hear Tad coming in the house...EARLY!!! Woohoo =) So here's the part that makes me want to sit and write...what did we decide to do with our family night???

We went to Walmart! But it's what we did at Walmart that I want to remember. We lived in the moment...in Walmart. Upon entering the store, the boys saw one of those machines filled with junk that you release "the claw" down into the pool of said junk in order to win a prize. Normally, the answer would be "No" followed by an explanation of how God gives us money to use for things like our house, food, clothes...you get the point. But tonight, Tad said "Sure". It's funny to see the boys expressions when they hear the opposite answer they were expecting...it takes a second for them to process. Long story short (sort of), I was the only one of the five of us to win...thank you very much...I am now the proud owner of a small spiky blue ball and a fair amount of bragging rights. So we go into the store and immediately head for the toy section. We spent about 30 minutes just perusing the aisles. Elijah rode a bike. Dominic scooted around on some Radio Flyer toy meant for an 18 month old. Joel stared at a video game demo pushing random buttons. Unfortunately it was here where the day caught up with me. Being 8 months pregnant, my stamina is rapidly declining. I actually sat on the floor of Walmart...so my boys could live in the moment...in Walmart. Tad of course has to help me up, and we decide it's time to grab a few groceries and go home. The boys help carry the things we need to make chicken tacos and potato soup (...i'm pregnant...don't judge). On our way out, we stopped at the Red Box and rented a movie...on a Thursday! Movie night was a success, 2 of 3 boys took a bath (we pick our battles), and they were in bed by 9.

Just another night at the Patella household, but full of things I don't want to forget. Every night when Joel gets out of the bathtub he gets wrapped in a towel, asks for the parent not bathing him, and repeats "baby" as he looks up at you with a cute little smile. Dominic goes through his typical drama of fussing "I'm cold! I'm cold" as soon as he hops out of the tub (nevermind the fluffy towel and bathroom heater blowing directly on him). Elijah gets dressed in his usual Saints jersey and batman pajama pants...I swear he's worn that 6 nights in a row!

I love nights like tonight...

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh, the little things! Nothing like an unexpected and unannounced daddy to put a smile on EVERYONES face! 3 cheers for awesome dads! Gla you hada good night! (also good to know that you have some fancy dressers too!)

    ReplyDelete