Tuesday, April 19, 2011

dominic turns 4...



So, Dominic walks out of his bedroom on the morning that he turns four. Tad and I had decorated our vast living/dining/kitchen combo with streamers, a banner and special "Happy Birthday" greetings in hopes of capturing a moment in his memory of how much he means to us and how special we hope to make this day for him. He looks around, smiling at first...my heart swells at the thought of his heart swelling. I can't wait to hear how he "feels". Then, it starts. His smile turns more sour...he plops on the couch with a pretty large bottom lip. "I told you I wanted Batman for my birthday." He runs to the bathroom, looks in the mirror, and comes back to the couch..."and I don't LOOK four!"

I sure hope the whole day isn't like this...ha!

After an explanation of how your birthday is different from your birthday party(which is all about the bat) as well as an overly detailed recount of his birth story...he changes his attitude...whew! We drop Eli off at school and go grab one of his best buddies, Nathan, and return home for some almighty BIRTHDAY CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES! The boys play for a bit here, then we go hang out at another friends house so he can play outside and I can chit chat (playdates are all about the mommas).


Typically birthday dinners around here consist of your favorite meal, close family, and a homemade cake. I was having a hard time looking around and wanting to cram any more people or festivities into this apartment, so...we went out! We had been asking Dominic to pick where he wanted to go for about a week, and with a little nudge from his seafood loving daddy...he wanted fried catfish.


Granny came to join in the celebration!


He opened a couple presents...luckily they were Batman themed! Then it was time for dessert. Our waiter took it upon himself to do the candle and singing thing...Dominic had the most genuine smile. It took a little coaxing, but there it was. This time my heart swelled, and I was sure this time his was swelling too. Our buddy was the center of our little world and he knew it.


Happy Birthday Dominic!

1 comment:

  1. Dominic's so sweet! I love birthdays. Such a fun time to celebrate that one child and let them know they are really special and loved. Good job!

    ReplyDelete