Monday, March 14, 2011

"do you think she's dead?"

I'm a nap nazi. I don't mean to offend anyone with that term...I just jokingly use it to explain my diligence to keep my kids on a schedule that includes at least an hour of down time everyday. I use this time to tidy up, catch up on emails, heck...sometimes I just stare at the wall...I just need a few moments of silence. Most days this tends to be right after lunch and ends in enough time so we can go pick up Elijah from school. Well, today I decided not to do naps and just play with my little buddies. We ate a leisurely lunch, watched a little bit of a movie, read a few books, and played a couple rounds of "eye spy". It was time to go get Eli, so we loaded up in the van and before we hit the first stop sign...they were snoozing away. I got Eli and after a typical boy recap of "how was school?"..."good."...we headed home. We needed to go to the store to get milk, but I just didn't have a wal-mart trip with four children in me. So we pulled up to Walgreens. I looked in the rearview and all four were quiet and sleeping. It was then that an overwhelming thing happened...my eyes closed. I have been so tired lately with the night time feedings and early mornings, that at any given moment I feel like I could possibly just sleep standing up.

So, there I am. (I at least locked the doors before going totally unconscious). Head tilted back against my seat, sleeping in a Walgreens parking lot. I'm not quite sure how long I was out...10 or 15 minutes maybe. All I know is that when I woke up there were different cars parked next to me. I chuckle to think what the passerby's must have thought...peeking in the window of a running car and seeing a disheveled blonde slumped over in the driver seat..."do you think she's dead?" Well, I felt much better after my public catnap =). It's just what I needed to finish out the night with patience.

Obviously I wasn't dead...just dead tired. So, if you ever come across a running grey minivan chilling in a parking lot...please...don't worry! Don't tap on the windows, either...I really need my nap.

4 comments:

  1. That is GREAT!

    Once a week for about 10 years my mom drove me to piano lessons. This is where she discovered "piano naps." She would park in the shade, with the windows cracked and when I came out from my lesson I would REGULARLY have to tap on the window to wake her up. I guess when you're a mom you just snag the sleep where you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1~ Awesome on so many levels! I am just happy that you first put the mini in PARK!

    #2~ Do hire out your "nap nazi" service? I could use a hand around here. I feel like half of my day is spent putting kids to bed. I need an intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often take a cat nap between picking up Sam and Amber. The only difference is that Sam is usually bouncing around the car while Evie watches him from her carseat. I need those catnaps to get through the rest of the day.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete